http://www.blogtalkradio.com/matrixfile ... aquaponics
The archive for the show is here: http://matrixfilesradio.com/shows/17May ... y-2014.mp3
I have not been able to go over last weeks show yet due to problems with my forum site, matrixfiles.com, but I will go over the golden nuggets for the show from the 3rd of May.
Then I will discuss Aquaponics which allows plants and fish to be grown and harvested in a nearly unlimited capacity once the process is started. This is a technology that is only now taking off but has been studied and utilized for at least 25 years.
Whatever size garden you have you can start growing your own food to make sure that the food you eat is uncontaminated with GMOs as well as being nutritious and delicious.
With this method you can grow food in larger quantities and much faster than the traditional way, without the use of pesticides or other additives.
Nuggets of gold - for the 17th May show
- Aquaponics is a combination of aquaculture (fish farming) and hydroponics (growing plants in a greenhouse with a nutrient liquid).
- The waste from the plants feeds the fish and the waste from the fish feeds the plants.
- A 1/8 acre of land will produce an estimated 25,000 lbs of food per year, 1 acre an estimated 200,000 lbs of food per year.
- The amount of water waste is very little to none depending on how the system is built.
- IBCs (Intermediate Bulk Containers) are the easiest items to use to start your own aquaponics system.
- It may be that aquaponics was created in Farmington, Michigan, by a physicist.
- Check out Tom Murphy and the reclaimator.
- By growing your own food you reconnect with that which gives you sustenance.
Bonus - 77 Cancer treatments Mortgage Fraud article from Salon.com Aquaponics The IBCs of Aquaponics
A 187 page document that is an excellent source of material for a thorough and in-depth look at 'backyard' aquaponics. You can download it from here: http://matrixfiles.com/Aquaponics/IBCofAquaponics1.pdf
OR- the pdf itself here Google Sketchup - the program that is used to create the system designs in the link at the bottom (30 PDFs)
A directory of 30 pdf files including the above on Aquaponics